Saturday, April 27, 2013

Blue Cheese Steak...

Here in Wisconsin, the weather is FINALLY turning more Spring like.  That means most people are going to start thinking about getting their grill on!  I'm not one to let a little snow in the winter deter me from grilling out though.  I love to fire up the grill monster and taste that charbroil.  Here's a little something for my grilling machines out there that love meat and potatoes.

I went to the grocery store and saw some amazing looking ribeye steaks in the case.  I had to get a couple!  I came home and preheated the grill while I prepared the ingredients.  As Ann Burrell always says, you have to get your mise en place ready!  That's French for "putting in place".  You want everything ready to go so you're not overcooking one thing while prepping the next ingredient.

Sprinkle kosher salt and pepper on both sides of the steaks.  Let then sit out in the kitchen so they come up to room temperature.  Meanwhile get some bacon slices ready.  Dice up a large yellow onion (preferably a Vidalia onion if in season).  Slice two or three baking potatoes into circles.  I chose to have a salad on the side instead of steaming up some vegetables.  Yes, I can be healthy on occasion!  Well, it was a small salad. Anyway, back to the MEAT!

A staple in my mom's kitchen was "fried potatoes".  Render some bacon to get that delicious bacon fat.  Take the bacon out and put it on some paper towels.  Next, saute some onions and mushrooms in that pork fat until they're tender.  Put the sliced potatoes in the pan and stir so they're covered in the bacon grease.  Season everything with salt and pepper.  Put a lid on it and move on to the grill!  Come back every few minutes though so you can stir the potatoes.

The steaks should be nice and tempered now, and the grill should be preheated nicely!  Put the steaks on and close the lid.  You'll want to turn them 90° after 5 minutes to get those perfect grill marks on them.  After another 5 minutes, flip the steaks over.  Turn them another 90° after 5 minutes to get grill marks on this side too.  This whole process will depend on how done you like your meat.  I'm one of the weird ones that can't have the meat still "moo" at me when I cut into it.  I prefer a warm pink center (no blood leaking out).

Once the meat is done to your liking, pull it off to a tray and let it rest.  This is the most important part when cooking ANY meat.  You have to let it rest.  If you don't the meat will be as dry as can be.  Think about this, when you cook meat and cut right into it, how much juice flows out and onto that place?  That's the BEST part!  When you let the meat rest, that juice is absorbed back into the meat to make it juicy!  Which do you prefer, dry meat or moist meat?

Now that your meat has rested, the potatoes should be done too.  Let's plate it up!  I love blue cheese, and if you haven't had some on top of a steak, you're missing out!  It gives a little "bite" to the meal.  Don't make that face!  Try it, you might like it.  I also saved some of the sauteed onions/mushrooms to put on top of the steak too.



Doesn't that look amazing!?  Cut into that perfectly rested steak and enjoy the juiciest piece of meat you've tasted in a long time.



Until next time...ya'll come back now, ya hear?


Zach

No comments:

Post a Comment